Prepare a flock of giant flying phoenixes with High Sierra Music Festival Parade Director, Teacher Toni “Tone” Mikulka, for the High Sierra Music Festival puppet parade.
Saturday and Sunday, June 10 – 11, 2016
At the PLACE for Sustainable Living in Oakland 9:00 am – 7:00 pm $40/person $70/couple
Minimum 10 people, Maximum 30 people | Registration required via Eventbrite.https://giantpuppetssavetheworld.eventbrite.com
3D and 2D Sculptural Reed Construction
French Silk Painting and Steam Dying
Giant Puppet Construction
Puppet Performance Art
Giant Puppet History and Culture
June 10th, Day One
9:00am – 9:30am, Introductions
9:30am – 9:45am, Brief Presentation and History of Giant Puppet Culture in the US from 1960-Present Day
9:45am – 10am, Parade plan for High Sierra Music Festival
10am – 12:30pm, 2D Reed layout
12:30 – 1:30pm Lunch Break
1:40 – 2:30pm, Finish and store reed layout, set up silk painting
2:30 – 5:30pm, Draw bird bodies from pattern, paint silk
5:30-6:30, Store silk for next day
6:30-7:00, Conclusion, wrap up, thoughts, realizations
June 11th, Day Two
9:00am – 9:30am, Introductions – set up
9:30am – 10:45am, Remove 2D lay out of reed for 3D sculptures.
10:45am – 12:30pm, Sculpt heads
12:30 – 1:30pm, Lunch Break (many awesome restaurants and food trucks)
1:40 – 2:30pm, Prepare silk for steaming in steamer
2:30 – 5:30pm, Steam silk (while steaming paint heads)
5:30-6:00, Wash and dry silk
6-7:30pm, Attach body to head
7:30pm-9:30, Puppet Jam (Free for All)
- PLACE for Sustainable Living – 1121 64th Street, Oakland, CA 94608 – View Map
June 11th and 12th,
Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 12pm-1pm | Giant Puppet Making Workshop for Kids and Adults ($5 for children, $4 for adults at Habitot Children’s Museum, Berkeley CA)
- Come to this family friendly workshop at Habitot Children’s Museum (www.habitot.org) to add your touch to a stunning giant puppet to be featured at Sunday Streets Berkeley.
- RSVP on the Eventbrite page: https://giantpuppetworkshop.eventbrite.com
Sunday, October 13th, 2013 2-3pm |Puppeteering Giant Puppets Workshop and Parade (FREE starting on Kittredge and Shattuck, Berkeley, CA)
- This giant puppet workshop is part of Sunday Streets Berkeley, CA (www.sundaystreetsberkeley.com, featuring puppets from the Big Tadoo Puppet Crew, Habitot Children’s Museum and Giant Puppets Save the World.
- Learn how to move with large puppets of all kinds to convey realistic life-life movements and awe everyone around you. RSVP to: email@example.com
- Attend this week long class in creating performance art from reed for arial performances. This workshop is hosted by famous NYC aerialist, Seanna Sharp. Students will complete the class with finished head dress and a giant puppet to use in performance. Gourmet dinner provided after each class. Limited availablity.
- Registration required, event held at private residence. Register by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students will see a short presentation on technique and method, then learn how to draft, proportion, and piece together the various parts needed to make a colossal puppet structure, beginning with the cute heads for the Flying Cedar Waxwings in Giant Puppet Save The World ensemble, and ending with the Tree of Life Deva, a mystical creature featured at Folk Life. Join us and get inspired! Ages 16 and up.
FOLKLIFE FESTIVAL AT SEATTLE CENTER: Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-30, 2011, 12-6pm
Sunday, June 5th 2011 12-4pm | How to Hand-dye Silk for Giant Pieces of Flowing Fabric (FREE at the Powerhouse on Fremont Ave and 39th, Seattle, WA)
- Learn how to draft patterns and hand-dye silk for the giant flying Cedar Waxwings. An amazing way to enhance your knowledge of fabric, flying birds, bamboo, sewing silk, and more. Please join us!
- Learn how to piece together hand-dyed silk wings, bird heads made out of reed, bamboo poles, and take the giant birds on a practice run! Dance with the Giant Tree of Life Deva! Snacks provided.